cypherpunks discussions

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Mon Dec 8 09:03:21 PST 2003

  The web boards (forums) like phpNuke, et al, are not nearly as useful as
listservs. The problem is that you have to go there. So, for instance, for the
lists I admin, if someone puts out an announcement of an upcoming event, and
people don't think to go look at the forum for awhile, they get the annoucement
too late. Not a good thing.
   Another serious problem with them is that if you don't go there for awhile,
the messages pile up, if it's a fairly active list, and become overwhelming. The
tendency is then to just skip them. You also can't filter out the people you
don't like -- a real drag.
    As for the lne.com blocks on "spammers", that bit me too. When my dsl line
ip changes, sometimes I can post to lne, sometimes I can't. So I just subscribe
to lne to get the spam free postings, and then post to minder.net.

 --
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix