Decline of the Cypherpunks list...Part 19

proclus at gnu-darwin.org proclus at gnu-darwin.org
Sun Dec 7 18:06:04 PST 2003

I'm still quite new to this list, so if you find this interesting,
please take it as from a newbie ;-}.

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Tim May wrote:
> > Read the archives and note the drop-off in certain kinds of
> > political discussion. Even some of the former nodes have vanished; my
> > hunch is that many of those subscribed to the vanished nodes never
> > bothered to find another node. (I have no idea how many subscribers the
> > list has. The nodes I know of don't allow listing the subscribers.

I'd volunteer GNU-Darwin.org as a new node, but we are having issues
with SMTP, dynablocker, spews list, etc.  (BTW, if anyone can recommend
a reliable and inexpensive closed relay service, that would be a big
help.)

Anyway, is there a FAQ, HOWTO, volunteer person, where I can learn how
to set up a new Cpunks node?  I'd love to do this, if it would help, and
I'm sure that most of our users would also love the idea of GNU-Darwin
assisting the Cypherpunks list, which seems quiet apt.

I frequently post to other forums crypto-related items, which could
include a link to the Cypherpunks list.

On  7 Dec, J.A. Terranson wrote:
> None of mine will allow it either, with the reason being the protection of
> the list contributors.

A partial solution would be to list the number of subscribers in the
list info, which reveals the info that is important to the community
without revealing the identities of the subscribers.

> CP has always been so much more than crypto.  The history here is political,
> with crypto not always playing a part.  Even the non-crypto discussion is
> almost completely lost.

Here is an old post of mine.  I was worried about being off-topic, so I
did not continue with it.

http://www.mail-archive.com/cypherpunks@lne.com/msg00722.html

I'm a person who could post a ton of political stuff, which some might
find interesting, but some of it may not be related to crypto at all.  I
support crypto against a government which would like to be called
libertarian, which prats vacantly about democracy, free trade, and
globalism while undermining freedom and constitutional liberties.  This
is the situation which necessitates private crypto.  Conversely, many
here likely would not be happy if I called myself libertarian, because I
feel that corporations are titanic forces unfriendly to the vast
majority of human beings and unworthy of human liberty.

In short, I think that the libertarian position has been entirely
undermined, coopted , and lost conceptual utility.  The whole
libertarian debate has become distasteful, trollish, and
counter-productive, and it is driving people out of forums like this
one, not attracting them.  I would probably get labeled as a political
spammer or a troll myself.  I'm not sure this is what you want here.

Regards,
proclus
http://www.gnu-darwin.org/

--
Visit proclus realm! http://proclus.tripod.com/

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type APPLICATION/pgp-signature]