Decline of the Cypherpunks list...Part 19

Greg Newby gbnewby at pglaf.org
Sun Dec 7 18:54:51 PST 2003

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 07:37:26PM -0800, John Young wrote:
> What I like about the ring-in-the-flesh crowd is their pleasure in
> grossing out the stodgers. Makes me wish I still had that knack
> instead of only the memories.

Hey, John -- wear some of that shit, and I promise to be grossed out.

But seriously, has anyone considered that maybe the problem is Tim
May?  His hate-filled ignorance is a real impediment to anyone who
might otherwise be interested in "the cause."  His spews are pretty
distasteful, and to him, anyone who didn't start cp a zillion years
ago is just an ankle biter come-lately.

I've only been on the list for 3 years, but I'd say that things were a
lot more interesting before (In-) Choat jumped ship.

As to John's comments, they're right on: getting subscribed is a major
PIA, and even finding out where the information about the list *is* is
non-trivial for the uninitiated.  Lack of cooperation from list
managers is just the tip of the iceberg...  unfriendliness to wanna-be
participants is endemic.  So "decline" is the exact right word: the
same people, more or less, with attrition: a downward curve.

And a big "fuck you, too" to anyone who thinks otherwise.
  -- Greg