[p2p-hackers] Peer-to-Peer Journal (P2PJ) CFP

Sam Joseph sam at neurogrid.com
Tue Dec 2 18:06:08 PST 2003

Hi David,

Although I agree with you about the copyright issue, I think that this
kind of thing is pretty common with academic journals. I'm not saying
that makes it right, but it is true.  Every time I get a paper published
in a book or journal I have to sign away my rights to the paper.

It is a wonderful little earner for the academic publishing industry
generally.  They have academics working for free to generate the
content, and then they charge other academics to get access to the
journal. I think it is another one of those fucked up things that we
can't do very much about.  However I would imagine that the publishers
of academic journals would say that there is such low readership that
without free content and exorbitant fees to libraries the entire thing
would not be profitable, i.e. they couldn't make enough money to pay the
people who work to actually print the journal.  At the moment P2PJournal
is not making any money, is not charging you to read the journal, and
everyone is putting in their time for free.  As it happens I have yet to
have any say in the copyright issues.  I'm working on trying to get the
P2PJournal to serve the best interests of the P2P community.  I will
pass on your comments to the Editor-in-chief.

BTW, I think the standard deal with most journals is that you can
publish the work on your own personal website as well - but it would be
good to make that explicit.

As for a complete copyright share - personally that sounds fine to me,
but one could argue that if the same work was completely free to be
published anywhere else then why would anyone want to read the
P2PJournal.  I'm not sure I totally buy the argument myself, but I think
the reason that most academic journals and conferences give for holding
on to the copyright of the papers they publish is that if they didn't
then they would be unable to maintain their readership or attendees.
Whether this is true or not is open to question.

There is also a sot of contradiction in terms of having a P2PJournal
with restrictive copyright rules - but then such is life.  Let us see
what we can evolve.

CHEERS> SAM