[discuss] national Community Technology Network conference, Austin Dec 7-9 (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Tue Dec 2 15:13:37 PST 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 16:01:35 -0600 (CST)
From: gene crick <gcrick at main.org>
To: discuss at effaustin.org
Subject: [discuss] national Community Technology Network conference,
     Austin Dec 7-9

Comrades, the Time Has Come To Arise!

[I still miss ole Leon Trotsky and his gang]

EFF supporters have a unique opportunity to hear and be heard at the Sixth
Annual Community Technology Networking Conference at the Holiday Inn (I-35
at Woodward this Monday and Tuesday.  Public interest technology is facing
near-crisis: we're out of fashion with government and corporate leaders,
telecom providers are avoiding underserved people, challenges like spam
and threats to free speech are back on the rise.  2004 will be a critical
year.

But there are good prospects as well.  Community Information
Communications Technology (ICT) is one of the few telecom professions
solidly growing, and the major players are coming to Austin to meet with
us in a few days. (FCC, Department of Commerce, Gates Foundation and many
more) You need to be here.

EFF should be solidly represented, sharing views and plans for the future
of the Internet as something more than a mass marketing sales outlet. Cost
for the conference is no barrier either:  register as student is only $50,
includes three meals, and we don't check student IDs :) (regular is $100)

So come join us; we finally have a chance to make our concerns known!

thanks
gene

Gene Crick
TeleCommunity Resource Center
EFF, EFF-Austin

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type APPLICATION/MSWORD which had a NAME of CN2003 invitation.fin.doc]