Slashdot | Florida Proposes Taxing Local LANs (fwd)

Justin justin-cypherpunks at soze.net
Fri Aug 29 10:15:44 PDT 2003

Bill Stewart (2003-08-27 07:06Z) wrote:

> At 08:54 AM 08/26/2003 -0500, Harmon Seaver wrote:
> >   I don't get it -- exactly what do they think they would be taxing?
> >9% of what? The bits and bytes that flow thru?
> >The owners already paid a sales tax on the hardware,
> >or is this like a yearly property tax?
> >Bizarre!
>
> The standard joke about how you tell a computer salesman
> from a used car salesman is that the car salesman
> knows when he's lying.  These incompetents like taxing things,
> but if they don't know what they technology is about,
> they *really* *really* shouldn't propose special taxes
> on it until they know how to count the objects they want to tax.

I got the impression they want to tax the yearly depriciation of the
networking equipment.  Just as silly as, and perhaps even more expensive
than, taxing the bits.

--
No man is clever enough to          Times are bad.  Children no longer
know all the evil he does.          obey their parents, and everyone