The Word Spy for 08/28/2003 -- darknet

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Fri Aug 29 09:47:02 PDT 2003

On Friday, August 29, 2003, at 09:02  AM, R. A. Hettinga wrote:

> I'm sure certian Virginia boys around here would say that that there's
> a misspelling in there, somewhere...

Certain Californians will say that the "Darknet" allegedly coined in
2002 by these guys is clearly a misspelling of "Blacknet," coined for
this usage in 1988, by me, and made popular in 1992-3, when it was
actually deployed (by me)...and investigated by various TLAs on
espionage grounds.

Not surprising that this "appropriation of the term" came from our
friends in Redmond. Perhaps they will copyright the term and then send
me and others threatening letters.

--Tim May

(a few excerpts follow)