IRS loses a big one?

Rob Carlson rob at vees.net
Thu Aug 28 08:26:47 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003, at 10:49 America/New_York, Steve Schear wrote:

> [Not surprisingly there appears to be no major U.S. media coverage]

The New York Times carried a detailed article about the case on August
12, 2003.  There are many more articles in major sources like it.

> IRS vs. KUGLIN
> By Carl F. Worden
>
> Forget the war in Iraq, Afghanistan and our excellent adventure in
> Liberia. Forget about Kobe, Arnold, Arriana, Scott and Laci. The
> biggest news of the entire week is that on August 8, 2003, the IRS
> was unable to convince a jury in Memphis, Tennessee that the Federal
> Tax Code requires the citizens to pay individual income taxes. I kid
> you not...

As I understand it, the jury found that Kuglin was not criminally
liable for tax evasion because the IRS ignored her letters asking what
law required her to pay her taxes.  In the absence of any response, the
jury found that she had acted reasonably and in good faith.  She was
not a tax evader beyond a reasonable doubt.

She may still be found civilly liable when the IRS sues her for the
money.  If I'm not mistaken, that requires only a preponderance of the
evidence.

--
Rob Carlson  rob at vees.net  http://vees.net/