[johnmacsgroup] Follow up to German Anonymizer no longer anonymous

Twister (Bettina Jodda) twister at stop1984.info
Tue Aug 26 10:03:54 PDT 2003

Hello all :-)

I thought this might be interesting:

The anonymization service AN.ON, also known as JAP, is no more anonymous. The
German crime prosecution organization BKA is logging access to at least one
IP address. Obviously not all of the so called Mixes are coverd by the
surveillance. No matter if the Mix is being observed or not JAP users easily
can hide their real Internet IP by using a SSL Proxy. This is possible
because the JAP Client does not transfer any IP addresses to the Mix. So the
first Mix just knows the proxy's IP but not the client's IP. If the proxy
does not log anything, or at least the BKA cannot access the system, the user
can be called anonymous.

Therefore, German pro privacy group STOP1984 made up a list of 73 public
proxies which are known to be compatible to JAP. To use a proxy you must
change JAP's configuration as described on:
http://stop1984.com/index.php?lang=en&text=japstop.txt

"Though we are very much aware of the explainations the developpers of JAP
gave for their measures, we do not agree in the idea of an anonymizer being
used for surveillance. Privacy, especially in times when it is so easy to
grab data and personal information, should be essential and a service
providing this privacy should not be forced into tricking their customers
into thinking they are private when they are not." says Twister of STOP1984.
"We want to help people to re-gain their privacy by using JAP."

Twister

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/XgSolB/TM