Some new problems uncovered for short latency mixes

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Tue Aug 26 10:29:57 PDT 2003

Probabilistic Analysis of Anonymity
by Vitaly Shmatikov

Abstract: We present a formal analysis technique for probabilistic security
properties of peer-to-peer communication systems based on random message
routing among members. The behavior of group members and the adversary is
modeled as a discrete-time Markov chain, and security properties are
expressed as PCTL formulas. To illustrate feasibility of the approach, we
model the Crowds system for anonymous Web browsing, and use a probabilistic
model checker, PRISM, to perform automated analysis of the system...

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/shmatikov02probabilistic.html

"...for every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat,
and wrong."
-- H.L. Mencken