*** GMX Spamverdacht *** Re: *** GMX Spamverdacht *** Re: paradoxes of randomness

Dave Howe DaveHowe at cmn.sharp-uk.co.uk
Mon Aug 18 09:01:38 PDT 2003

Sarad AV wrote:
> Will the information obtained from the 2^32 tests have
> a zero compression rate?
> If one of the occurance should yield all heads and one
> occurance yields all tails-there appears to be scope
> for compression.
In that one case, yes.
The compression will vary based on the deviation from an ideally
compressable sample - for *any* bit pattern 0x0000 to 0xFFFF you would
expect to see it once in 2^32 trials (by definition) therefore you will
get a mix of compressable and uncompressable patterns, with uncompressable
patterns being more likely (simply because there are more of them in the
full range of available patterns 0x0000 to 0xFFFF

> If the output is random,then it will have no
> mathametical structure,so I shouldn't be able to
> compress it at all.
randomness is a funny thing. a truely random file can be *anything* that
is the right length - including a excerpt from william shakespere
(provided you have enough monkeys)
it is most likely to be random garbage, for a large sample - but for a
very small sample the odds of it being an ordered sample are surprisingly
good.
the obvious example here is a double coin test - two bits. an ordered
sample would be both heads or both tails. a disordered sample would be one
head and one tail. in practice, you would expect to see half the results
from a larger trial (say 32 double-throws) with a ordered sample, and half
disordered.
as you reach three coins, the odds of a completely ordered result decrease
(from 2 in 2^2, to 2 in 2^3). for four coins, you still have the same two
compressable results. consider:
HHHH    HHHT    HHTH    HHTT
HTHH    HTHT    HTTH    HTTT
THHH    THHT    THTH    THTT
TTHH    TTHT    TTTH    TTTT

in a large trial, you would expect to see each of these once every 2^4
tests, on the average. obviously HHHH and TTTT are very compressable.
assuming a runlength encoding, I don't think any of the others are
compressable at all.....