US soldiers in Iraq held against their will

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Mon Aug 18 06:20:17 PDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 10:37:15PM -0700, Major Variola (ret) wrote:
> At 02:33 PM 8/17/03 -0500, Harmon Seaver wrote:
> >   Just heard about this local guy who reluctantly went to Iraq because
>
> >he was in the reserves, now his contract is up (as of 7/31) and they
> >won't let him out.
>
> Did he reluctantly take the $$$ to be in the reserves, too?
>
> > my
> >enlistment contract ended and the I have been involuntarily extended.
>
> SOP.  Happened during the Yugo thang too.

   So a contract isn't a contract anymore, eh? It's changed unilaterally by USG
whenever and however they want? Well, I suppose there's good precedence for that
too -- ask any Native American.

(snip)

> I find it very troubling that the USA
> >would force people against their free will to be in
> >the military,
>
> It hasn't, it only requires males to register.  So far.

   It certainly is in this case, and, I'm sure, in many others. If you sign a
contract to work for me for a year, and at the end of that year, I lock the
factory door and won't let you out, send big mean guys with guns to make sure
you stay seated at your machine and keep working -- what would you call that?
Slavery?

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix