[cta at hcsin.net: Re: CNN: 'Explores Possibility that Power Outage is Related to Internet Worm']

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Sun Aug 17 10:50:53 PDT 2003

As you probably know by now, there was no lightnight strike and the
failure did not start at Nigara.

As for our city's reptile of a Mayor he claimed power would be back on in
queens by 11pm.  It wasn't on until 6am Friday.  On Friday night there
were still areas that were down in lower Manhattan.

Certainly, I'd expect whatever FUD explanation to be most profitable to
the NeoCONS to be the eventual reason for the outage, so they can push
USPATRIOT V3.0.1 - the one where they add brown alert to the color scheme.

Of course CON-Ed would say "Blame Canada."  I expect nothing less.

Did anyone catch the Shrubbya interview? I think it was on CNNFN or MSNBC
or one of those neonews channels...  The one where he was busy sweating in
the sun's heat in his blue Armani dress shirt while, his face browned from
the sun, playing golf.  The one where he regurgitated what he had been
spoon fed by his PR guys?  At one instant he shrugged his shoulders as he
said it's an old grid, and it will need to be fixed, and then he went back
to golfing.  Showing how much he cares about the plight of the east coast.

More than likely I suspect the truth is that the grid is indeed outdated
and something simply couldn't handle the load.  Whenever politicians, and
bureaucrats are involved, the outcome is the same:

Chief Executive Asshole: "Why should we spend $X million to fix it?  It's
still running?"

Techie: "Because it's running at 95% capacity, and any small spike will
cause a big problem."

CEA: "But it's been fine for the last 20 years, I'd rather keep the cash
and give myself a bonus, and then lay off extraneous employees.  We can
outsource them to India."

Techie: "It's outdated, it will collapse."

CEA: "So what? When it does, if it does, we'll hit Uncle Sam for more
money, meanwhile I have another yacht to purchase.  In any case, it won't
likely collapse while I'm still here, and I'll retire soon enough, not my
problem... and don't let the door hit your ass on your way out.  I don't
want ass prints on my brand new gold plated door."

 + ^ + :25Kliters anthrax, 38K liters botulinum toxin, 500 tons of   /|\
  \|/  :sarin, mustard and VX gas, mobile bio-weapons labs, nukular /\|/\
<--*-->:weapons.. Reasons for war on Iraq - GWB 2003-01-28 speech.  \/|\/
  /|\  :Found to date: 0.  Cost of war: $800,000,000,000 USD.        \|/
 + v + :           The look on Sadam's face - priceless!
--------_sunder_ at _sunder_._net_------- http://www.sunder.net ------------