[cta at hcsin.net: Re: CNN: 'Explores Possibility that Power Outage is Related to Internet Worm']

Chris Kuethe ckuethe at ualberta.ca
Fri Aug 15 19:29:10 PDT 2003

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Harmon Seaver wrote:

> Somehow I have difficulty believing the these people could be so totally lame
> as to be running mission-critical stuff like this on windoze. Please say it
> isn't true.

it's scary just how much mission-critical stuff runs on windows. i'll
confess right now to being a unix zealot, so the thought of anything
mission critical (beyond hotmail and freecell) on windows is scary.

i know of some fairly large installations running control systems for power
generation on windows. these same sites then give the vendors access to the
system via vpn across the internet. sure there are firewalls, but i don't
have faith in the long-term maintenance of the vendor sites.

> Is the military also now dependant on windoze? Bizarre, absolutely
> bizarre. And here I thought it was probably caused by people with potato guns
> firing tennis balls filled with concrete, attached to coils of wire cable,
> dropping them across the power lines and transformer stations.

the power lines are certainly low-hanging fruit...

CK