[nycwireless] Wifi-Hog - Info / Talk

Jonah Brucker-Cohen jonah at coin-operated.com
Thu Aug 14 06:31:56 PDT 2003

Hey All - I thought NYC Wireless folks might be interested...Here's
info on my latest project - Wifi-Hog - I will be giving a talk about
this and more of my projects in NYC in two weeks at the Upgrade! @
Eyebeam on Tuesday, August 26th around 7:30pm
Hope people can make it out
Jonah

WIFI-HOG - 2003
Keep public WiFi nodes to yourself!

Description

* Wi-Fi Hog is personal system for a laptop or portable computer that
enables people to gain complete control over a public access wireless
network. The idea comes as a reaction to the utopian vision of
wireless networks being open, shared, and utilitarian for everyone.

* Aimed specifically at public wireless nodes, the WiFi Hog system
exists as a laptop connected to a Portable Video Jammer (PVJ) that
communicates to software consisting of a packet sniffer and wireless
stumbler which monitors incoming packets from an open node. Only
traffic originating from the Wifi-Hogger's IP address may access the
connection, otherwise the PVJ is switched on, blocking others from
accessing the open node.

* The project attempts to discover if adding constraints on a network
and making access to it more competitive and "territorial" changes
the relationships between people who use the network.

For more detials (including pics) see :

Design/Conept/Hardware by
Jonah Brucker-Cohen
Research Fellow