Fw: Re: Secure IDE?

Bojan bojan at japi.co.yu
Thu Aug 14 06:27:58 PDT 2003

-----  cut here  -----
From: "Ralf-P. Weinmann" <rpw at uni.de>

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 04:20:37PM -0400, Trei, Peter wrote:
> ABIT has come out with a new motherboard, the
> "IC7-MAX3" featuring something called 'Secure
> IDE', which seems to involve HW crypto in the
> onboard IDE controller:
>
> >From the marketing fluff at
> http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjsp/english/news1.jsp?pDOCNO=en_0307251
>
> 	"For MAX3, the ABIT Engineers listened
> 	to users who were asking for information
> 	security. SecureIDE connects to your IDE
> 	hard disk and has a special decoder;
> 	without a special key, your hard disk cannot
> 	be opened by anyone. Thus hackers and
> 	would be information thieves cannot access
> 	your hard disk, even if they remove it from your
> 	PC. Protect your privacy and keep anyone
> 	from snooping into your information. Lock
> 	down your hard disk, not with a password,
> 	but with encryption. A password can be
> 	cracked by software in a few hours. ABIT's
> 	SecureIDE will keep government
> 	supercomputers busy for weeks and will
> 	keep the RIAA away from your Kazaa files."
>
> No, I have no idea what this actually means either.
> I'm trying to find out.
>
> Peter Trei

40-bit DES in ECB mode sounds even more great. It's them
Enovatech guys again.

See here:
http://archives.abditum.com/cypherpunks/C-punks20030519/0079.html

Cheers,
Ralf

--
Ralf-P. Weinmann <rpw at uni.de>
PGP fingerprint: 2048/46C772078ACB58DEF6EBF8030CBF1724

-----  cut here  -----

   \|/         Sharkey                                \___/          \|/

bomb cia nsa cocaine terrorist drug kill president nuclear -- Hi Echelon! :)
PGP 2.6.3i 7CAD47C9: AF D0 62 B3 94 6C 2791  9C CD 87 1D 21 B0 5B 59
-- Arachne V1.70;rev.3, NON-COMMERCIAL copy, http://arachne.cz/