How can you tell if your alarm company's...

Thomas Shaddack shaddack at ns.arachne.cz
Sat Aug 9 23:41:30 PDT 2003

> How can I tell if my alarm has been "down" for a period of time, assuming I
> don't believe the records of the alarm company in such cases?

There is a plethora of various devices suitable for an alarm system, both
off-the-shelf and homemadeable.

You can cheaply roll out a camera system with a cheap PC with Linux and a
TV-input card with a 4051 analog-multiplexer-based
parallel-port-controlled switch for selecting cameras for slow-motion
video. Frame rate sucks as there is no means of syncing the cams, so you
have to give the card couple frames to lock after every cam change, but
you should be able to get about four switches per second (which gives you
one frame every 2 seconds for all 8-cams cycle). You can also switch them
irregularly, so you get better framerate on the cams whose signal
indicates something's happening. The photos may be recorded to a suitably
big hard drive in a circular buffer, with suspicious frames optimally
flagged for more permanent storage. This, together with a Net connection
(and a backup phone line and eventually a cellphone) gives you a
relatively very cheap system. Don't forget the UPS. Don't have this system
as the only one; the adversary can switch off the power to the house and
starve the computer.

A new standard for GSM phones is appearing here: MMS - multimedia SMS
messages. With suitably equipped phone you can send/receive short sound
and video clips, and - which is important for us now - pictures. The
alarm system then can send you a picture of the neighbor's cat getting
into the house and tripping the sensors instead of just a panic-inducing
generic message about activated PIRs and IR gates.

I'd advise against relying on 802.11 cameras; they are too easy to both
detect and jam. They can add some finishing touch though, and an attempt
to jam the cams can be a possible alarm (or at least suspicion) source on
its own.

A powerful and reliable device may be a door/window-opening logger. A
small chip with a little switch (or a reed-relay magnetic switch, which
allows it to get completely sealed in the doorframe, or an IR beam gate,
or just about anything). A microcontroller running with slow clock in
low-power mode, a serial EEPROM for storing the circular-buffer log of the
times when the contact was opened/closed, a RTC chip with I2C bus, a small
battery for making the device independent on the power. (It can even log
the times of power blackouts; a sequence of blackout - door open - door
close - power-up when nobody is home is VERY suspicious.) If you use a
wireless interface there (eg, use AT24RF08 for the EEPROM), you may read
the door open/close times without any direct contact with the device,
which makes its concealmentability much easier. It can then reside in the
doorframe, a little magnet in the door triggering its reed contact,
read/write being done with a handheld reader held over a certain point of
the doorframe. Scatter couple such devices in the object, and you have
good idea about what was happening there. There is no authorization there;
they will just log visits, including you - but you KNOW when you were
there and can ignore these entries on your own. This is suitable as an
audit device, just to make sure. Be aware that in the highest-threat
situations the adversary may enter by unconventional means; there were
cases of entry through the roof, the floor, even the wall.

The cellphone-based uplink can be strengthened by a trick. There are
cellular jammers that can be employed together with the plain ol' cutting
of the lines. However, if you have good visibility to some cell base
stations, you may employ a directional antenna pointing at it, which makes
the setup much more resistant against localized jamming from directions
other than the antenna's one. For high-budget people there are also
satellite phones.

The system can also report to you once every interval, telling you about
status changes and if there was anything that could look suspicious but
wasn't worth of an asynchronous alarm.

Consider using an anonymous phone with a prepaid card, for both sending
and receiving the alarms and status messages. The adversary could
othervise visit the phone company and ask for cancelling your service for
the given time, so you'd miss your alarm.

If the neighbourhood situation is suitable, you can combine the efforts of
several people in the area, and form a sort of Neighbourhood Watch - a
decentralized P2P web of alarm systems talking with each other by any
suitable means - from an over-the-street IrDA to 802.11b to Ronja-grade
optical links for longer distances. (The network can also double as a
community network for TCP/IP communication and Net connection.) This can
make an eventual attack very unlikely to pass unnoticed.

An interesting low-tech backup system could be a cheap one-time film
camera triggered by eg. a fishing line tied to the door or lead over the
floor. Even if everything electrical goes down, there is still a chance to
get a picture of the intruder.

Use different technologies in overlapping layers. Employ your fantasy. Be
aware about what dependencies you have in the system (eg, camera system
can run for no more than two hours of mains blackout, certain sensors
depend on the computer, some alert modes depend on the telephone or
cellphone), be prepared for different failure modes - both natural mishaps
and intentional sabotage, compensate for them, design the system to fail
gracefully and to keep at least some functions (at least the autonomous
audit switch loggers) even in the reasonably worst case. This makes the
adversary's job less pleasant.