R.I.P. (was: Re: A 'Funky A.T.M.' Lets You Pay for Purchases Made Online)

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sat Aug 9 15:11:15 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 08:40:33AM -0700, Steve Schear wrote:
> time for such pipe dreams.  Now that many are un- or under-employed there
> still doesn't seem to be any activity by those active on this list in this
> critical infrastructure area.  All the recent work that is being done
> (e.g., Orlin Grabbe's ALTA/DMT http://orlingrabbe.com/redirect.htm, Patrick
> McCuller's Lucrative http://lucrative.thirdhost.com, YodelBank
> http://yodelbank.com/, InvisibelNet http://invisiblenet.net) has been
> undertaken by real cypherpunks, a few monitor this list but rarely if ever

That's a useful roundup, thanks.

I think the cypherpunk goal of anonymity is still alive and well --
it's just that the folks involved in efforts like Freenet don't
necessary consider themselves cypherpunks or subscribe to this list.
Defcon featured a good number of anon projects; most dealing with
publishing/web browsing/email than anon digital cash, unfortunately
(though the interest is there).

-Declan