Computer Voting Expert, Dr. Rebecca Mercuri, Ousted From Elections Conference

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Wed Aug 6 10:56:25 PDT 2003

We should also remember in all of this no purely electronic voting scheme, without the most asinine, if not draconian, is-a-person identity methods, cannot prevent the *selling* of votes. Essentially, if the right to vote is defined by an electronic credential, or, more properly a zero-knowledge proof-of-knowledge of an electronic credential, that credential is instantly fungible -- and transferrable.

Of course, that's what we want in the long run, I suppose: demonopololized force markets. That is, people who buy and sell their votes are called "shareholders", right?

To mix a paraphrase like a dead horse, in the long run, l' etat c'est merde.

Cheers,
RAH
Parlez vous franglais?

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA