Computer Voting Expert, Dr. Rebecca Mercuri, Ousted From Elections Conference

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Wed Aug 6 12:20:30 PDT 2003

At 09:46 2003-08-06 -0700, Tim May wrote:
I was intensely opposed to the gibberish about how the Republicans "stole"
the Florida vote, for multiple reasons. First, the Dems wanted to change
the rules after the outcome went against them...they wanted "hanging chads"
counted in their favor (ultimately, of course, this wouldn't have even
swayed the outcome, as careful studies by newspapers showed). Second, they
wanted the Elections Commission to somehow adjust the outcome based on exit
interviews with little old Jewish ladies who claimed they wanted to vote
for Algore but who actually voted for Pat Buchanan or Jeffery Dahmer or
whomever it was that was opposite Chad Gore on the ballot (note that
Democrats designed the ballot). Third, they wanted only precincts known to
be leaning toward Chad Gore recounted from scratch. (I would have _opposed_
a statewide recount on general common sense and legal grounds, too, but for
sure I was aghast at the proposal to only recount selected precincts:
"We'll keep recounting until the outcome fluctuates in our favor!")

This was certainly a farce, but the decision by the SC to intervene was
worse.  The matter should have been thrown into the House of Representative
where the Constitution has provisions for its resolution (or lack thereof).

steve

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders
itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."  John
Adams