What happened to the Cryptography list...?

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Wed Aug 6 11:49:37 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 11:05  AM, Adam Back wrote:

> The problems with closed lists relying on a single human for
> forwarding and filtering...
>
> Couldn't he just let people post in his absence?  It kind of detracts
> from a list if it disappears for weeks at a time on a regular basis.
>
> Also there are delays, and then there's Perry decisions that a
> discussion is no longer worth persuing when contributors are still
> interested to discuss.
>
> Adam

I enjoyed interacting with Perry about 10-11 years ago, mostly on the
Extropians list. Perry was a major political ranter (even if it is not
true that he coined the phrase "Utopia is not an option"). (Extropians
was a privately-owned list, and what eventually drove me away was the
silliness involving "trials" for those accused of insulting others, or
violating some rules, or disrespecting the Official Beliefs. I
attribute this silliness not to malice by the Extropian Maximum
Leaders, but by the very nature of private lists and the almost
unavoidable tendency to try to "perfect" lists by tweaking what people
can and can't say.)

I despise people's private fiefdoms, whether Dave Farber's "Interesting
People" list or Lewis McCarthy's "Coderpunks" list or any of Bob
Hettinga's various "BearerBunks" and "Phisodex" lists. And Perrypunks,
with its quixotic policy about politics (politics banned, except when
Perry wanted to rant), was just another private fiefdom.

I don't dispute their property right to do with their machines as they
wish, absent contracts, but being in their fiefdoms chafes very quickly.

The distributed CP list may end up being the last list left standing,
at least in this niche.

Part of the reason Usenet continues to thrive, despite its flaws.

--Tim May
"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize
Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of
conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States who are
peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." --Samuel Adams