Year in Jail for Web Links

Kevin S. Van Horn kvanhorn at ksvanhorn.com
Wed Aug 6 08:26:33 PDT 2003

Bill Stewart wrote:

> No, it's *not* Prisoner's Dilemma.

Think more literally here.  The prisoners are the entire population of
accused persons.  If all the accused (in all cases in the Injustice
System) were to reject plea bargaining and insist on a jury trial, then
prosecutors would be spread more thin, and would not be able to extort
confessions as they do now.

> Most people they try are either guilty of something,
> and the real issue is exactly how many counts of what they're guilty of
> and how much they ought to be punished.

Do you have any evidence at all for this assertion?  It seems to me that
you've been taken in by Big Brother's propaganda.  On a regular basis I
hear about corrupt judges who act as a second prosecutor, and actively
prevent the accused from presenting any effective defense by disallowing
crucial evidence and even telling them what arguments they can make.
 Too often, the prosecution just needs to convict somebody to keep their
numbers high, or police need to make arrests because they've allocated a
certain portion of the departmental budget to come from forfeitures.