[eff-austin] Antispam Bills: Worse Than Spam?

Jamie Lawrence jal at jal.org
Tue Aug 5 20:38:59 PDT 2003

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003, mindfuq at comcast.net wrote:

> [...] I'm
> talking about is AOL committing a DoS attack on me, which is
> actionable regardless of Bob's contract.

Dear honorable Mr. Mindfuq,

I am from this point forward blocking all mail traffic from you to the
networks I control. None of your carefully constructed communicative,
copyrighted packets will be delivered on to my networks. I promise.
I choose not to expend my resources forwarding your data beyond my router.

I assume you consider this a DoS, through some muffinhead logic that
you've devised. If that logic is well formed, I assume it
also explains the presence of fluoride in our water rather well. It is
unclear to me what service I am legally obligated to be providing you,
and what exactly I'm denying you. I'm also sure you'd love to explain it,
however, you can't. You also can't explain it to any of the people to
whom I provide internet related services, at least via email from your
present address.

Similarly, I deny you the privilege of retransmitting your voice over my
loudspeakers. I have no automated method for enforcing that, but I'll do
my best. You also may not speak your mind on my couch.

Bye bye.

-j

Jamie Lawrence                                        jal at jal.org
"For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal
shootings. And folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's
just unacceptable. And we're going to do something about it."
   - George W. Bush