They never learn: "Omniva Policy Systems"

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Tue Aug 5 18:52:52 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 01:00  PM, Bill Stewart wrote:

> At 11:30 AM 08/05/2003 -0700, Tim May wrote:
>> I ran across a reference to this company, which says it has raised
>> $20 M in VC financing and which claims it has a system which
>> implements the digital equivalent of "disappearing ink."
>> (Perhaps distilled from snake oil?)
>> The URL is still called disappearing.com, but the company is now
>> called Omniva Policy Systems. A URL is:
>>
>> http://www.disappearing.com/
>>
>> I guarantee that anything a human eye can read can be captured for
>> later use, whether by bypassing the probably-weak program, by using
>> other tools to read the mail spool, by capturing the screen buffer,
>> or, if worst comes to worst, simply photographing the screen with an
>> inexpensive digital camera and then either using the captured image
>> as is or by running it through an OCR.
>
> It's nice to see that they're still around, unlike so many dot.bombs.

Why is it "nice"?

> The founder came and talked to Cypherpunks just after their PR launch
> (IIRC, Bill Scannell was involved in getting them into US today.)

No comment.

> He started off by being very clear about what problems they were
> and weren't trying to solve.  They were trying to solve the problem of
> making messages expire when all the parties involved are cooperating.
> He viewed the problem of preventing non-cooperating parties from
> saving copies to be unsolvable snake oil and he wasn't trying to solve
> it.

This may or may not have been what Jeff believed, or wanted to believe,
or told you was the case, but I don't buy that this is their business
model.. Their Web site is filled with stuff about how "Save" menus are
subverted, so as to, they claim, make it impossible for copies to be
saved, blah blah. This hardly fits with your view of a bunch of benign
little bears all sitting around cooperating.

Further, the site natters about how Omnivora will support government
requirements about unauthorized persons seeing mail (how? how will even
their crude expiry approach stop unauthorized viewings of mail?).

This is again inconsistent with the picture of friendly little bears
all cooperating. Friendly little bears don't need to have their "Save
As" buttons elided (not that this will stop screen grabs and photos, as
I mentioned). Nor would friendly little cooperating bears show their
messages to "unauthorized viewers," now would they?

(Speculatively, I would not be even slightly surprised if Omnivora is
doing more than just nominally erasing some messages. To wit, storing
copies for later examination by Authorities with Ministerial Warrants.
As Jeff Ubois no longer seems to be attached to Omnivora, perhaps his
vision was rejected.)

> ~~~~
> In your other message, you mentioned that several Extropians were
> doing really
> squishy stuff, and mentioned that Jeff Ubois's resume also appeared to
> be.

Something called "Ryze" and something else called "Minciu Sodas."

"Minciu Sodas is an open laboratory            for serving and
organizing  independent  thinkers.      We bring   together    our
individual projects      around shared  endeavors.      We remake our
lives and our world by  caring about thinking.

"Minciu Sodas helps        your enterprise work openly to integrate
constructive   people      around      your purposes."

Plus several other "advisory panels" and "boards" of, as you put it,
"squishy" topics.

But not as bad as the squishiness poor Max has gotten himself into,
granted. There's a whole subculture of bottom feeders who think high
tech needs some new version of Werner Erhard (originally born Nathan
Goldfarb, or somesuch...there was a Jew with major self-doubt).