Trouble at HavenCo?

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Tue Aug 5 11:47:23 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 11:23  AM, Freematt357 at aol.com wrote:

> HavenCo's error was not initially raising the necessary cash to buy
> Sealand
> outright from the Bates, or if that didn't work they could have done
> it the old
> fashioned way by marrying into the family.  Not having total control
> led to
> this outcome.
>
> As they say it's good to be king.

The bigger and more glaring flaw--pointed out by many of us, years
ago--was in having an identifiable nexus for pressure to be applied.
Cf. the archives for much discussion of what would happen when MI-6
finally got tired of them, or of when Mossad decided to do something
about things, or when Hollywood got fed up.

Bruce Sterling dealt with this in "Islands in the Net," circa 1988,
which predated Cypherpunks by several years and which was coming out
just about when I was writing up my first things on crypto anarchy. I
though Sterling had placed much too much emphasis on the havens'
attempt to be physically secure by owning small countries and not
nearly enough (if any) emphasis on using strong cryptography to achieve
security inside cypherspace, a la "True Names."

The idea of being secure in plain sight within the claimed territorial
waters of Britain was just too laughable.

--Tim May

"We are at war with Oceania. We have always been at war with Oceania."
"We are at war with Eurasia. We have always been at war with Eurasia."
"We are at war with Iraq. We have always been at war with Iraq.
"We are at war with Havenco. We have always been at war with Havenco."