patriotism considered evil

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Wed Apr 30 13:54:21 PDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 11:15:50AM -0700, Tim May wrote:
> > Opinion in the UK is split, but I don't
> > see those on the pro-side of the fence arguing that those arguing
> > against are unpatriotic or anything.
>
> The Scottish MP, a constant target of tabloid attacks, has been dubbed
> MP for Baghdad Central for his opposition to the Iraq war."
>
> --end excerpt--
>
> It seems to me that the tabloids and others calling someone "MP for
> Baghdad Central" is a counterexample to your claim.
>
> Of course, this isn't a survey of the _prevalence_ or _magnitude_ of
> the claims, but it's an example that at least some Brits on the pro-war
> side are using slurs about the patriotism of the opponents.

Yes but the tabloids are not examples of serious news sources; they
are titilation and shit-stirring.  They're continuously being sued for
slander, fabrication of titilating though coincidentally untrue
stories etc.

> Also, note that Sky News in the U.K. is part of Rupert Murdoch's
> empire, and Murdoch is the controlling force behind Fox. "Fair and
> balanced" = the most blatantly jingoistic television network visible on
> American t.v.

I agree news is biased also.  It just pisses me off to see major
network news who you might (or at least the average person
uninformedly does) consider to retain some level of integrity
dismissing and supressing most balanced discussion on with put-downs
involving "unpatriotic" and "unamerican".  WTF is that?  Can't they
engage in discourse where evidence and logical argument are used?

Similar vein is the apparent overnight animosity towards the French
who happened to take a different view.  It all comes down to this same
blind following of leaders, and Bush's inane statements such as "if
you're not for us you're against us".  So now France should be
boycotted because they expressed opinions not precisely aligned with
US views.  People are entitled to their opinion.  In fact if it were
not for Blair and whoever else was behind it in the UK government
over-riding public sentiment, Britain would not have been involved
either as public opinion in the UK was reportedly 80% against
involvement prior to the invasion.  In that case I suppose British
exports would now also be targets for calls for boycott.

I suppose I am just suprised and dismayed at the level of childish
behavior but on an international policy scale.

Adam