Quarantines may be justified

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Wed Apr 30 10:01:56 PDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 09:03:43AM -0400, Sunder wrote:

  (more idiotic bullshit deleted)

> Should we really be able to make up our own definitions and turn things
> which merely annoy us into crimes?  Think about it a bit longer before
> you reply again.

   "merely annoy"? Excessive noise, or smoke, or chemical pollutants are not
mere annoyances, they are detrimental to health and safety and are physical
assaults, and anyone has a moral right, at least, to use force to protect
themselves from such. If it weren't for the fact that I'd get arrested, I'd
certainly have no moral qualms whatsoever about blowing away a smoker on the
street, or the guy with the loud stereo, or the farmer next door whose ag
chemicals ended up in my well water. People who are that inconsiderate of others
don't belong in the gene pool.
    And what I'm seeing a lot of lately are people who profess to be
libertarians who see nothing wrong with forcing others to smoke along with them,
or listen to their choice of music, or disturb other people's peace and
quietude, or even forcefully poison other people's land and water. Especially
when it's done in the name of profit, eh?
    The LP's stance on the Iraq war was more or less the last straw for me, but
certainly the attitudes of people like yourself have helped me to see the error
of my ways, i.e., voting libertarian the last 15 years or so. And, of course,
the statements from idots like Hettinga rejoicing in the looting of Iraq's
museums so "it can all go to the highest bidder" helped a lot.
    It's really funny how many people I've talked to recently who were all
excited about the libertarian freestate movement until I told them that those
people would sell off all the public parks to the highest bidder, not to mention
trash all the environmental laws.
    But it's all pretty irrelevant anyway, as is the LP. Just another dead horse
that very few people will ever vote for. Crypto-anarchy might actually get
somewhere, but the LP won't.

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix