Fake News for Big Brother

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Wed Apr 30 10:45:03 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, April 30, 2003, at 04:00  AM, David Howe wrote:

> at Tuesday, April 29, 2003 6:21 PM, Tim May <timcmay at got.net> was seen
> to say:
>> If the state has the authority to classify words as "marketing" or
>> "news" or "propaganda," all is basically lost.
> It is difficult to define a particular piece of data as one of the
> three as an abstract.
> however, you *can* make the distinction between marketing/propaganda
> and news (although it
> is difficult) and the concept of *not* deliberately lieing for
> political or financial gain
> isn't really a hard one.

I strongly disagree. And, fortunately, the First Amendment has none of
the language you apparently think is in it, the stuff about "lying" and
"political or financial gain."

I acknowledge that things are quite different in the U.K., an adhocracy
with virtually no codified rights, but we are quite clearly here
talking about the U.S. situation, as evidenced in several of the
messages.

--Tim May
"Dogs can't conceive of a group of cats without an alpha cat." --David
Honig, on the Cypherpunks list, 2001-11