what moral obligation? (Re: DRM technology and policy)

David Howe DaveHowe at gmx.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 02:07:42 PDT 2003

at Tuesday, April 29, 2003 5:36 PM, Major Variola (ret) <mv at cdc.gov>
was seen to say:
> At 02:23 PM 4/29/03 +0100, David Howe wrote:
>> Yup. and copy protected audio "non cds" such as the more recent
>> album releases are actually an attempt to prevent you using your
>> fair use rights, which are of course legal, without performing an
>> illegal circumvention of the protection under the terms
> of the DMCA.
> Actually, non-standard CDs sold with the CD logo are fraudulent, since
> they violate a published standard which the logo implies.
> I'm surprised this avenue hasn't been taken legally.
It has in the uk - no protected cd in the uk uses the cd logo. Doesn't make it any easier
though, as that is on the back of the case, and the cases are stacked with all the real-cd
cases in the display racks; if you decide you don't want a not-cd, having discovered it is
one on examination of the case, its not as if you have a legal alternative; you can't even
buy it, download the tracks on [insert p2p here] and claim fair use, as that doesn't exist
in the UK.