Fake News for Big Brother

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Wed Apr 30 09:56:38 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, April 30, 2003, at 02:40  AM, David Howe wrote:

> at Tuesday, April 29, 2003 6:16 PM, Tim May <timcmay at got.net> was seen
> to say:
>> I don't see any basis for supporting a "law against lying."
>> Unless a contract is involved, lying is just another form of speech.
>>
>> Should a church which claims that praying to the baby Jesus will save
>> one from going to Hell be prosecuted for lying?
> They aren't *knowingly* lieing - that is the point. Church types
> firmly believe hell exists,
> and only pestering a omnipotent and omniscient being (who therefore
> already knows what they
> wanted to say, and could do something about it if he chose to) will
> prevent them visiting it
> (as opposed to actually being nice to other people and so forth, which
> would at least be
> productive)

Nonsense. Many preachers and televangelists know they are shucking and
jiving their congregations.

So?

The First Amendment does not have an exception clause for "knowingly
lying."

>> Should a newspaper be prosecuted for publishing a claim that the
>> Sumerian prediction that Nibiru, aka Planet X, will stop the earth
>> from rotating on May 15, 2003?
> Nope. but they should be prosecuted if they front-page splash it as
> "earth doomed, we have
> two weeks to live, there is no hope" and fail to mention that it is a
> religious prediction
> that the scientific community has a few issues with....

Nonsense.

>> Should someone be prosecuted for saying the Holocaust never happened,
>> or was exaggerated greatly by the Jewish lobby?
> That is borderline. given that the accepted body of fact admits that
> the Holocaust not only
> happened, but was pretty much as described by the Jewish lobby, then
> any claims that it
> didn't happen should be accompanied by pretty convincing evidence. Not
> that I think the
> Holocaust justifies what is going down with the palastinians, but I
> don't think it can be
> denied that it actually happened.

You really believe the Jew propaganda?

The First Amendment does not contain language about how speech "should
be accompanied by pretty convincing evidence."

Etc.

--Tim May