Fake News for Big Brother

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Wed Apr 30 07:28:25 PDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 11:09:29AM +0200, Thomas Shaddack wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> > Needless to say, nothing could be further from the letter and spirit
> > of the First Amendment.
>
> I thought the Constitution applies to personal speech, not to corporate or
> government speech...
>
> If I speak for myself, the First Amendment applies.
>
> But should it apply even to corporations? Are such entities considered to
> be persons? Should they have "rights"?

   I don't believe that corporations do have rights, or at least they certainly
shouldn't. There is a case before the Supreme Court as we speak about whether
Nike has a right to freedom of speech. Hopefully they will say no, which would
end corporate political contributions, the bane of our current political
situation.
   However, along with freedom of speech, there is also a First Amendment
"freedom of the press" as well, so the press, including newspapers, can print
anything they want unless it's libel.

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix