Quarantines may be justified

Justin justin at soze.net
Tue Apr 29 19:55:36 PDT 2003

At 2003-04-30 01:17 +0000, stuart wrote:

> There is a line, that line is harm, not discomfort. My argument is that
> there are many things that cause discomfort, that's life, tough shit.
> If smoking actually caused harm to people near a smoker, I wouldn't
> protest any of these bans. But nobody has been able to prove it does.

Of course!  How could I have been so blind?

Tar is good for your lungs.  In support of this, the FDA will release a
Minimum Daily Requirements update listing tar as an essential nutrient -
with the caveat that it must be breathed in rather than swallowed - any
day now.  Those pictures of black lungs are nothing to be worried about
- black lungs are more efficient, and the tar coating helps shield lungs
from harmful substances like oxygen.

Nicotine is good for you.  All the proof needed is that it calms down
hypertensive type-A personalities.

The dozens of carcinogenic compounds formed by combustion of plant
matter aren't really there.  A lab mixup resulted in the
misidentification of the compounds produced by burning cigarettes.  The
compounds are really vitamin A, B6, B12, C, D, E, calcium, "soy
protein," and zinc.

--
Freedom's untidy, and free people are free to make mistakes and commit
crimes and do bad things.  They're also free to live their lives and do