Fake News for Big Brother

Nomen Nescio nobody at dizum.com
Tue Apr 29 11:50:11 PDT 2003

> On February 14, a Florida Appeals court ruled there is absolutely
> nothing illegal about lying, concealing or distorting information by a
> major press organization. The court reversed the $425,000 jury verdict
> in favor of journalist Jane Akre who charged she was pressured by Fox
> Television management and lawyers to air what she knew and documented
> to be false information. The ruling basically declares it is technically
> not against any law, rule, or regulation to deliberately lie or distort
> the news on a television broadcast.

It's significant that a United States Court of Appeals has a stronger
commitment to the First Amendment than supposed arch-libertarian Tim May.
Look at May's response when confronted with the idea that a newspaper
has the right to print what it chooses:

> But the journalist and his editors are still alive.
>
> When they have been necklaced and lit, we can rest easier.
>
> Burning down the entire newspaper office would maybe be overkill, but,
> hey, what the hell.
>
> Fuck them dead.

That's right: Tim May believes people should be tortured and killed for
saying the wrong thing in their own newspaper.  Apparently he believes
that he has the right to set rules which everyone else must follow in what
they say, under penalty of a horrific death.  Needless to say, nothing
could be further from the letter and spirit of the First Amendment.

Thank God for the protection of anonymity.  With people like Tim May
throwing around death threats towards those who say the wrong thing, this
may soon be the only way we can communicate without fear.  Please join
me in condemning this savage trampling on principles supported by all
men of honor.