Fake News for Big Brother

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Tue Apr 29 10:16:21 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, April 29, 2003, at 07:16  AM, Trei, Peter wrote:
> I'm not sure how I feel about this. Problems would arise if there
> *were* a
> law against
> news media presenting false information. The question becomes 'What is
> truth?', and
> 'Who decides". Laws of this type are used in many tyrannies (recently,
> Zimbabwe) to
> persecute reporters on the grounds that they were 'libeling the
> government'.
>
> 'Truth in media' is a sword that cuts both ways.

I don't see any basis for supporting a "law against lying."

Unless a contract is involved, lying is just another form of speech.

Should a church which claims that praying to the baby Jesus will save
one from going to Hell be prosecuted for lying?

Should a newspaper be prosecuted for publishing a claim that the
Sumerian prediction that Nibiru, aka Planet X, will stop the earth from
rotating on May 15, 2003?

Should someone be prosecuted for saying the Holocaust never happened,
or was exaggerated greatly by the Jewish lobby?

The answer to all libertarians, and the answer embodied in the First
Amendment to the United States Constitution, is "No."

Of course, the idea of reputation matters. And--Declan can correct me
or clarify things--newspapers and perhaps even reporters have
professional organizations and other "standards and practices" type of
seals of approval. Something like "This newspaper is a member of the
National Assocation for the Advancement of Uncolored Journalism," or
somesuch.

Probably the Weekly World News ("Baby Eats Own Hand, Aliens Suspected")
would not be a member in good standing of the NAAUJ.

And the newspaper which published the deliberately false arson story
should at the least face suspension.

Were someone to kill the reporter who wrote the false story, I would
only chuckle.

This doesn't mean government should be involved in deciding the answer
to Pilate's famous question, "What is truth?"

--Tim May
"The State is the great fiction by which everyone seeks to live at the
expense of everyone else." --Frederic Bastiat