Quarantines may be justified

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Mon Apr 28 19:25:13 PDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Tim May wrote:

> But in practice, in real practice out on the streets, this has never
> been where the anti-smoking laws have been invoked. No state in the
> U.S., to my knowledge, bans smoking outside, on public streets.

Almost, some cities require that you smoke at least 15 ft. from entrances
for example.

Now why do they draw this distinction? Distance and diffusion. It's to
provide a 'buffer of choice'.

      We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
      are going to spend the rest of our lives.

                              Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

      ravage at ssz.com                            jchoate at open-forge.org
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.org