what moral obligation? (Re: DRM technology and policy)

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Mon Apr 28 18:17:21 PDT 2003

At 11:56 PM 4/28/03 +0100, Dave Howe wrote:
>Peter Clay wrote:
>
>> There then comes the question of making money off devices that are
>> capable of infringing copyright. This was first addressed 20
>> years ago in Sony vs. Universal, and the subsequent Congressional
>> inquiry that led to the  American Home Recording Act.
>... and note that every blank cassette tape (and audio cdr) has a "tax"
on
>it to offset the assumed piracy - even if it is not used for piracy...

AFAIK, not true in the US.  You are from the UK, according to your
address,
and you haven't even freedom of speech, so its not surprising you're
assumed
to be guilty, and fined, without evidence.

Were it true here, copyright "infringement" would be *more* than
justified morally,
since we'd have paid for it, under threat of violence, without even
having done it.

---
"What the fuck do you think you're doing" ---Madonna to Jack Valenti