what moral obligation? (Re: DRM technology and policy)

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Mon Apr 28 17:32:27 PDT 2003

At 3:56 PM -0700 4/28/03, Dave Howe wrote:
>Peter Clay wrote:
>
>> There then comes the question of making money off devices that are
>> capable of infringing copyright. This was first addressed 20
>> years ago in Sony vs. Universal, and the subsequent Congressional
>> inquiry that led to the  American Home Recording Act.
>... and note that every blank cassette tape (and audio cdr) has a "tax" on
>it to offset the assumed piracy - even if it is not used for piracy...

Next they'll want to add a tax to pens and paper.  And if it weren't for
the personal use, non-profit exemptions, they'd tax my guitar too.  They're
useful for copying too you know.  :-)

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz           | Due process for all    | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506         | used to be the         | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz at pwpconsult.com | American way.          | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA