Quarantines may be justified

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Sun Apr 27 16:44:09 PDT 2003

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, Harmon Seaver wrote:

>       So the native americans here before 1492 weren't free?

In the sense you're using it? No. In general they were members of a
society that was driven by religion and strict requirements on behaviour
and cast membership.

> They did, of course, have private property

In general, no they didn't.

 -- whatever they could carry with them -- but the
> land was held in common. The idea that individuals could "own" land was not
> known to them.

The people in general were help in common ownership, the ownership of the
ruling class. If you think some Aztec could just pack up and walk off you
are completely uneducated in the ways of those societies.

>    You're right, and it's really too bad the indigs here didn't realize soon
> enough that they needed to kill each and everyone of those euros who landed
> here and thought they could "own" land.

Another example of your ignorance. For example the word 'teo' was used for
'God' by both parties. In addition the Amerindians had cultural beliefs
that led them to believe that the whites were from their God. You don't
kill the messanger of ones own god.

>    People can smoke in public if they wear some sort of helmet which contains
> all the smoke, otherwise they are using force to invade my body and I should
> have the right to kill them for it.

You certainly have a right to prohibit them from smoking in public places
and in -your- private places. Outside of that it isn't any of your
business. As to killing them, that's just specious.

      We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
      are going to spend the rest of our lives.

                              Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

      ravage at ssz.com                            jchoate at open-forge.org
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.org