How convenient...

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sun Apr 27 17:39:11 PDT 2003

At 03:05 PM 04/27/2003 -0700, Joseph Ashwood wrote:
> [...]

Before the US and COWs attacked, either
- they had evidence that they couldn't show us because it would
         endanger our spies in Iraq, but they can show us now, or
- they had evidence that they couldn't show us because it would
         endanger our spies with Al Qaeda, and they still can't show us, or
- they had evidence that they couldn't show us because it would
         embarrass them because of whoever they got it from, or
- they were lying from the beginning.

I'm skeptical about any of those cases except the last...
but I doubt there'll be any forensic work done to find out
whether it was authentic or planted by the US Army, CIA, MI5, Mossad, or
AlQaeda.

> > I assume this means that nobody cares any longer about finding WoMD?

If they had evidence, they should have given it to Hans Blix to help him
find them,
unless they were lying from the beginning there too.
(Actually, I'm rather surprised they haven't officially found them yet,
because the US did give Saddam quite a lot of that stuff when he was their
buddy,
but perhaps the wrong people in Iraq have it...)

Besides, the fact that we can't find them just shows that
those clever bastards destroyed them to hide the evidence or
those clever bastards used them all up causing mass destruction or
those clever bastards gave them all to Osama so we can't find them or
oh, whatever, they're obviously Evil(tm) so it was necessary to attack them.

>Indeed it is appearing more so, I found a link to this on CNN.com's front
>page http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/04/27/nyt.nyt.friedman/index.html .
>First non-bolded sentence "As far as I'm concerned, we do not need to find
>any weapons of mass destruction to justify this war." It's becoming clear
>that many people in the US simply wanted to beat someone up. The
>justification for this war simply hasn't materialized and now at least one
>reporter has clearly stated that it doesn't matter.

Columnist Friedman believes that we've stopped an evil dictatorship from
torturing its subjects, which he thinks justifies the war,
but he's worried that the Bush administration will use this to
cause more trouble : "it feels as if some people want to use this war to
         create a multiparty democracy in Iraq and a one-party state in
America."
By contrast, Fox News is much more Fair and Balanced about it, showing all
sides
         "WE kicked their asses, nyahh, nyahh, Syria's Next!"
         "Other experts believe North Korea's Next"
         "IraN" "No, Syria!" "No, Korea" "Tastes Great" "Less Filling!"