The Freest Country?

Thoenen, Peter SPRINT CIV Peter.Thoenen at email-tc3.5sigcmd.army.mil
Sun Apr 27 05:04:46 PDT 2003

Actually, the US tax issue doesn't care where you live / work / reside /
domicile, that's the problem.  The US is one of the FEW countries that taxes
it citizens regardless of where you live in the world and / or if you are
additional paying taxes to foreign governments (since you live / work
there).  Only bonus you get living outside the US is the first $80K USD is
tax-free (federal and state, not FICA (which is paid at 15% since you count
as self-employed for tax purposes regardless if you work for a foreign
company)).  The US looks at it as a kind of future benefits tax.  You have
NOT given up your US citizenship so obviously one day you do plan to return
and live in the US (regardless of truth or not).  The taxes you pay while
you are not here will support the federal benefits and infrastructure you
receive when you do one day decide to return to the US and live.

While one could argue you could not report / misreport the monies you made
while working / living in a foreign country, that is tax evasion and
something the feds don't take kindly to (especially if you bring yourself
back to the states to live / visit).  Its not as if you can keep it under
the table either, your entry / exit records at the US border are kept file.
Kind of suspicious not making *ANY* money in the years you lived overseas,
raises an eyebrow or two with the IRS.

Additional, you are not authorized to declare you have no intention to ever
returning to the US live (some states allow you to declare this is writing
making you exempt from ALL state taxes).

Your options are:

1.  Keep US citizenship, pay FICA (and taxes +$80K USD)
2.  Keep US citizenship, misreport taxes, risk tax evasion.
3.  Pay US taxes until you establish residency in another nation.  Official
surrender your US citizenship.
4.  Immediately surrender your US citizenship (before gaining residency in
another nation).  You official become a 'stateless person (UN)'.  Risky boat
to be in.

While 3 looks to be the best choice, nice things about being a citizen of
the sole superpower is:

1.  Can always go back to the US, its relatively stable.
2.  US State Dept. honestly does care and try to help US citizens living in
foreign countries (even today).
3.  US Passport is a gateway to anywhere, very very few visa requirements.
Nice thing to have.

So for us who never plan to return to the US it comes down to money, just
how much is our US Citizenship worth to us.  Is that passport / legal status
worth the yearly fee required.  Its a question we all must ask ourselves.

-Peter

DISCLAIMER: This message in no way reflects upon the official opinions /
policies of the US Army or Sprint.  The opinion expressed above is the sole
responsibility of the sender.