The Freest Country?

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sun Apr 27 00:05:01 PDT 2003

At 09:18 PM 04/26/2003 -0700, Tim May wrote:
>[This space reserved for insertion of usual silliness about
>living out of suitcase, stuffed or not, and being a "perpetual tourist,"
>which only works if one is below a certain net worth and if
>one likes to travel a lot.]

There are different kinds of perpetual tourism, some of which involve
less travelling than others.  I have friends who are believed by the
Netherlands bureaucrats to be spending their time in Belgium,
and by the Belgian bureaucrats to be over in the Netherlands.

I think the apartment in the Netherlands is probably different than their
official when-we're-not-outside-the-country address,
and that their Belgian address is a mailbox, but I could have that backwards,
and at least one of their addresses is probably owned by a corporation,
and their net worth is probably in Switzerland or some such location,
but while their net worth is fine, I think they're probably retired
or at most "consulting" rather than doing full-time work.
On the other hand, one nice thing about that area is that if they
_do_ need to be out of the country, it's an hour or two across an
unguarded border.

I don't know if it's as easy to confuse the US and Canada about
which country you're living in, and while the borders are permeable,
they're a lot more thoroughly audited than they used to be,
so maybe you need to spend more time on the ferryboat to Vancouver
instead of driving or flying commercially.