The Freest Country?

Kevin S. Van Horn kvanhorn at ksvanhorn.com
Sat Apr 26 15:09:48 PDT 2003

R. A. Hettinga wrote:

>the US is, to date, the freest country, and thus the freest market, in the world.

Do you have some hard data to back up this assertion, or are you just
repeating the brainwashing we Americans are fed from at least
kindergarten forward?  I don't know of any serious study of economic
freedom that puts the U.S. in the number one spot. Every rating I've
seen for the past ten years has put the U.S. at number four or worse.

I haven't seen any serious attempt to quantify overall freedom, but even
there I still have my doubts that the U.S. would rank number one by any
reasonable measure. Yes, the U.S. looks great on paper, with that nice
Constitution and Bill of Rights; too bad all those protections have been
interpreted out of existence by the Supremes.  Furthermore, the U.S. is
the most powerful government in the world right now, which allows them
to intrude much more severely into the lives of their subjects than many
nominally less-free nations with (on paper) worse laws and fewer legal
protections for the rights of individuals.