Quarantines may be justified [Santorum]

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Fri Apr 25 09:31:16 PDT 2003

At 04:30 PM 4/23/03 -0700, Tim May wrote:
>The Schelling point for such rights was agreed-upon a couple of
>centuries ago with the protection of property rights. My house, my
>rules. Your house, your rules.

"If the Supreme Court says that you have the right to
consensual (gay) sex within your home, then you have the right to
bigamy,
you have the right to polygamy, you have the right to incest, you have
the
right to adultery. You have the right to anything."
-Senator Rick "Felch" Santorum

You'd almost think Santorum understands freedom, wouldn't you?
Albeit he should have expanded, "anything that doesn't consensually
harm others".   (E.g., voluntary masochism is moral.)

[Adultery is a violation of a monogamy contract
if that's what you've signed; a mere civil matter, yawn.  Certainly
marriage needn't be monogamous unless you enter a voluntary
contract to that effect.

Incest is questionable if the state has an
interest in future citizens, however its definition (except in
immediate family) is cultural.  Einstein married his cousin.
And of course, all kinds of known-mutants (folks with mental
illness, folks with inherited physical problems, congressvermin)
are allowed to breed freely --even subsidized to do so.  So the
State's argument that monogamy is required for *responsible*
raising of offspring does not hold water.  In fact, historically,
bastards had no obligations from their father or mother; then
their mothers became obligated; then their father too.  Didn't
stop Jesse Jackson's father from illigitimately siring him,
didn't stop Jesse from siring his own bastard.]

But, Santorum needs to be tried & hung for what he
meant.