Double spending, i.e. X in S == not X not in S

Patrick Chkoreff patrick at fexl.com
Thu Apr 24 13:51:05 PDT 2003

On Thursday, April 24, 2003, at 04:17 PM, R. A. Hettinga wrote:

> At 3:52 PM -0400 4/24/03, Patrick Chkoreff wrote:
>> Alternatively, I think a copy of the non-spent coins will do the trick
>> also.
>
> Patrick, no offense, but have you actually *read* this stuff?
>
> You *delete* the spent coins after some pre-arranged period. They're
> useless.
>
> You don't *care* about the unspent coins. You're going to *have* to
> keep the spent coins to prevent double spending.
>
> Get it?

No, which indicates there is one huge unshared premise at work here.  I
assert that I can prevent double spending without keeping the spent
coins, even for a limited time period.

It's simple.  Alice gives Bob a coin X.  Bob immediately swaps coin X
for a brand new coin Y.  The server deletes coin X completely,
forgetting the bits with extreme prejudice.

Now Alice tries to give Charles the same coin X.  Charles immediately
attempts to swap coin X for a new one.  The server tries to look up X
in the set of valid coins and does not find it.  The server says
"Sorry, Charlie, that is not a valid coin."

The whole thing depends on the recipient doing an immediate swap.  But
that's no big requirement, because the recipient must contact the
server to see if it's a valid coin anyway.  So you just go ahead and do
a swap at that point.

-- Patrick
http://fexl.com