Makeup as low-tech measure against automated face recognition?

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Thu Apr 24 11:06:38 PDT 2003

At 6:33 AM -0700 4/24/03, Adam Shostack wrote:
>At the workshop, I talked to James about using make-up to create
>different lines that would be picked up, ie, a wider nose drawn in
>brightly.  He was very skeptical.
>
>Adam
>

>On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 04:42:33AM +0100, Adam Back wrote:
>| There was a paper at Privacy Enhancing Technologies 03 on this topic:
>|
>| "Engineering Privacy in Public: Confounding Face Recognition", James
>| Alexander and Jonathan Smith.
>|
>| It's full of pictures of one of the authors with various forms of
>| facial makeup, glasses, hats, stockings (over head bank-robber style),
>| dazzled camera with pen-light laser, etc, plus an empirical analysis
>| of the disguise efficacy in hiding identity against I think a face
>| recognition system called FERET.
>|
>| A copy seems to be online here:
>|
>| 	http://petworkshop.org/preproc/07-preproc.pdf
>|
>| Adam

Ah, but the surgical masks made popular by the SARS outbreak will cover
most of the signs.  Add ear coverings for cold climates, and I suspect the
accuracy will go way down.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz           | Due process for all    | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506         | used to be the         | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz at pwpconsult.com | American way.          | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA