Makeup as low-tech measure against automated face recognition?

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Wed Apr 23 20:42:33 PDT 2003

There was a paper at Privacy Enhancing Technologies 03 on this topic:

"Engineering Privacy in Public: Confounding Face Recognition", James
Alexander and Jonathan Smith.

It's full of pictures of one of the authors with various forms of
facial makeup, glasses, hats, stockings (over head bank-robber style),
dazzled camera with pen-light laser, etc, plus an empirical analysis
of the disguise efficacy in hiding identity against I think a face
recognition system called FERET.

A copy seems to be online here:

	http://petworkshop.org/preproc/07-preproc.pdf

Adam