Three Cheers for the State - RAH RAH RAH

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Tue Apr 22 16:55:56 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, April 22, 2003, at 11:46  AM, R. A. Hettinga wrote:

> At 5:39 PM -0700 4/21/03, Tim May accused me of pissing in his
> personal catbox:
>
>> First, Bob should cut back on his massive cross-posting to his
>> several  self-centered groups (including new ones to me: "Philodex
>> Clips" and  "dgcchat").
>
> Ah. Theoretically, that's a claim made in the absence of data, at
> least as far as Mr. May is concerned, because, last time looked, I
> was in his killfile.

How could you _possibly_ look in my killfile?

I often discard older killfiles when I change my system, when I change
my mailer, etc. My recollection is that you were in my Eudora Pro
killfile, but that was a year or so ago.

True, mostly I delete your stuff after only reading the first
paragraph. The phony "ums" and "ers" and the silliness about "listen,
boys and girls," all of this stuff should be edited out.

And the content is, um, redundant. And, er, uninteresting. And that,
boys and girls, is enough to make me blow milk out my nose. To use
another, um,  Hettingaism.

> Which might still be the case, because,
> inevitably, when someone replies to something I send to cypherpunks,
> Tim flames away. :-).

And the silly use of smileys.

> So, I plead guilty of creating new mailing list, m'lord, though the
> idea for the new list not exactly new. Philodox Clips is an attempt
> to put all the forwarded stuff into one list, like I used to do with
> the now 5-year-defunct e$pam list, only with, heh, more scope. :-).

Have as many lists as you like, er, though it, um, seems to be silly to
concentrate so much on spamming material to so many seemingly, um,
related lists. Ebuscks, Philodex, E$, DCSB...this seems to be your main
industry, creating new little mailing lists.

> people want to look at it, including Patrick, :-), so I might as well
> put it in, heh, one place.

Too many smileys, too many "heh"s and "um"s and "er"s. Bad enough in
spoken speech, and utterly pointless in writings.

More examples included below. You really ought to consider a major
change in your writing style. The smileys and ums and hehs and ers and
phony folksiness distracts from what may be your real message.

Unless being a certain kind of prose stylist is your goal...in which
case I would even _more_ strongly urge you to tighten up your prose.