Quarantines may be justified

david david at morningwood.net
Sat Apr 19 14:22:42 PDT 2003

On Saturday 19 April 2003 16:46, Harmon Seaver  wrote:

>(snip)
> Private property is purely a construct of Euro culture, at least
> in this hemisphere. Who owned the whole fucking continent when
> the eurotrash expatriates hit the east coast? You really think
> you *own* a piece of Mother Earth? Guess again when that volcano
> erupts underneath it.

The concept of, and respect for private property are essential
elements of individual liberty.  They cannot be separated.  There
is an inverse proportion between the power the governments have
over private property and freedom.

> > Any individual who enforces, or any politician who votes for a
> > law that uses force to regulate behavior is guilty of
> > initiating force against anyone affected by the law (snip)
>
> (snip) "using force to regulate behavior" is wrong? Like if some
> shithead tries to rob me I can't "regulate" their behavior? Or my
> village can't hire a professional "regulator" to deal with
> robbers? Or for that matter, to "regulate" people who smoke in
> public?

It is the initiation of force that is wrong.  People who try to rob
others should have their behavior regulated by being killed by
their intended victims.  Hiring professionals to deal with robbers
is a valid response to the robbers' initiation of force.  Killing
people who use force to regulate individuals who smoke in public is
also a legitimate response to the their initiation of force.

David Neilson