Quarantines may be justified (limits of biochem assault in public)

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Sat Apr 19 12:03:58 PDT 2003

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 09:44:27AM -0700, Major Variola (ret) wrote:
> At 09:02 AM 4/19/03 -0500, Harmon Seaver wrote:
> >   Agreed, except for smoking in public. All smoking in public should
> be
> >banned. No one has the right to pollute the air I have to breath, in
> any way. I
> >shouldn't have to breath in or even smell someones else's drug as I
> walk down
> >the street.
>
> How about smell their perfume?  You are not talking about
> pharmacological effects, but odor.  Perfumes are voluntary.
> Some are even allergic to them.  What are the limits?

   No, I am talking about physical effects. I get a definite sick feeling
breathing tobacco smoke. And I know large numbers of other people who do as
well. Most ex-smokers are very familiar with this.
   But perfume is another one, not one that bothers me very often but I've known
people who got physically sick from the smell of certain perfumes. That's a lot
more rare than people who are affected by tobacco smoke tho. The feeling is a
lot like the one you got when you smoked your first cigarette as a kid.

 Both my wife and I get a really unpleasant feeling just walking down the aisle
at Home Depot with all the lawn chemicals, in fact my wife, on occasion has had
to leave stores that had too many chemical smells.

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix