Antibiotics

Steve Furlong sfurlong at acmenet.net
Fri Apr 18 13:38:05 PDT 2003

On Friday 18 April 2003 16:04, Tim May wrote:

> I will make what some here will probably think is a totalitarian
> sentiment: under extreme conditions, I support quarantine measures.
> Though it is a serious step to limit a person's freedom to move about
> on public property, this is one of the few cases, along with
> imprisonment for criminal convictions, where it is justified.

Another of the few powers I'd grant to the US Federal government which
aren't spelled out in the Constitution is the ability to regulate the
use of antibiotics. Careless use of them can lead to the development of
drug-resistent bacteria, which adversely affects the whole population.

I'd gladly trade increased governmental oversight of antibiotic usage
for elimination of governmental meddling with drugs which don't affect
anyone but the taker.

--
Steve Furlong    Computer Condottiere   Have GNU, Will Travel

Guns will get you through times of no duct tape better than duct tape
will get you through times of no guns. -- Ron Kuby